Donald Trump repeatedly blatantly changes his positions on a whim and his position on whether or not there should be a federal minimum wage is no exception. The idea of a “minimum wage” is antithetical to conservatism, as it interferes with the free market. A minimum wage, particularly one unconstitutionally set by the federal government, puts young people out of work, as it removes the bottom rung of the ladder.
Donald Trump has expressed his support for the federal minimum wage. Donald Trump also said he wanted the minimum wage to be set by the states. Donald Trump said the current federal minimum wage is too low. Donald Trump also said a low minimum wage is a good thing.
Here is a list of Donald Trump’s actual words on the minimum wage:
- August 20, 2015: ““Now, I want to create jobs so that you don’t have to worry about the minimum wage, you’re doing a great job, and you’re making much more than the minimum wage,” he said via phone on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” “But I think having a low minimum wage is not a bad thing for this country.”
- November 10, 2015: “…But, taxes too high, wages too high, we’re not going to be able to compete against the world. I hate to say it, but we have to leave it the way it is. People have to go out, they have to work really hard and have to get into that upper stratum. But we cannot do this if we are going to compete with the rest of the world. We just can’t do it.”
- November 11, 2015: “I would love to say, “make it $50 an hour, I think it’s great” — you know what, it’s a difficult position politically . . . Our taxes are too high. Our wages are too high. Everything’s too high. We have to compete with other countries.”
- November 12, 2015: “Whether it’s taxes or wages, if they’re too high we’re not going to be able to compete with other countries…”
- December 27, 2015: Bernie Sanders bashes Trump for saying that wages are too high in a press release. “…He refuses to support raising the minimum wage. He believes wages are too high and he wants to provide hundreds of billions of dollars in tax breaks to the very richest families in America.” The very next day, Trump tweets that “Wages in are country are too low…”
- December 28, 2015: “Wages in are country are too low…”
Wages in are country are too low, good jobs are too few, and people have lost faith in our leaders.We need smart and strong leadership now!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 28, 2015
- May 8, 2016: “Well, I am looking at it and I haven’t decided in terms of numbers. But I think people have to get more.” Acknowledging that his position on the federal minimum wage changed, Trump said “Well, sure it’s a change. I’m allowed to change. You need flexibility, George [Stephanopoulos], whether it’s a tax plan where you’re going to — where you know you’re going to negotiate. But we’re going to come up with something.“
- May 8, 2016: “I have seen what’s going on. And I don’t know how people make it on $7.25 an hour. Now, with that being said, I would like to see an increase of some magnitude. But I’d rather leave it to the states. Let the states decide.”
- May 9, 2016: “I would like to leave it to the states because frankly every state is different, every state has different cost of living… but I will tell you $7.25 is pretty tough and as far as I’m concerned I can see something happening there.”
- May 11, 2016: “Goofy Elizabeth Warren lied when she says I want to abolish the Federal Minimum Wage. See media—asking for increase!”
Goofy Elizabeth Warren lied when she says I want to abolish the Federal Minimum Wage. See media—asking for increase!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 11, 2016
The malleable Trump will likely default to a big government position in all things. There is no doubt that Trump will advocate for keeping an unconstitutional federal minimum wage in place, and furthermore, Trump would clearly be more than willing to raise the minimum wage.
- GRAPHIC VILE LANGUAGE: Prominent Trump supporter: ‘a lot of us are liberals’
- 2015 FLASHBACK: Donald J. Trump says doctors make too much money (video)
- WATCH: How many more red flags do you Trumpsters need? (video)
- 2013 Flashback: Donald Trump meets with illegal immigration activists, says ‘You’ve convinced me’
- Amnesty activist dissed by Ann Coulter for hug met with Trump in 2013
- Trump: Fighter jets aggressive because Russians ‘really dislike Obama’
- WATCH: Donald Trump’s evolving position on Amnesty (video)
- Donald Trump IS the establishment
- 2012 FLASHBACK: Trump slams Santorum ‘these lost delegates show that he is badly organized and not a good manager’
- Photograph their families! Trump ally Gary Forbes plans to brutalize delegates, GOP leadership
- SICK: Trump tells supporters to attend ‘big protest march’ against Colorado GOP
- No, Larry Wayne Lindsey was NOT ‘turned away’ from the Colorado state convention
- Donald Trump’s HUGE admiration for Globalists
- WATCH: Trump tells YUGE lie about position on federal land (video)