Ah, the sultry days leading up to the end of summer, when the warm weather brings out the torpor and laziness in all of us and little gets accomplished except by the determined and the desperate.
Of course, these days that group would include the members of the political class and their veritable army of servants, Praetorians, hangers on and staffers. When even the First Dog has his own plane and handlers when he hits Martha’s Vineyard, the very term ‘dog days’ takes on an entirely new meaning, no?
The Romans were the first to label this time of year the Dog Days (diēs caniculārēs), noting that the skies were ruled by Sirius, the Dog Star, the brightest star in the night sky at this time of year. And Herodotus, Plutarch, Caesar and Thucydides all noted the effect this time of year has on men… the influence of the days of Dog Star giving rise to tempers, frustrations, gambles and many times, war and rumors of war. Some things never change. Or at least that’s what the smart money in Vegas, DC and other oracular venues where the entrails get read for omens says. The mood can get ugly quickly.
This week’s contest is dedicated to letting sleeping dogs lie… at least for the moment.
Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, a blogging group consisting of some of the most incisive blogs in the ‘sphere and the longest running group of its kind in existence. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. Then we vote on the best two posts, with the results appearing on Friday.
This week, Ask Marion, The Independent Sentinel and Wolf Howling took advantage of my generous offer of link whorage and earned honorable mention status with some great articles.
You can, too! Want to see your work appear on the Watcher’s Council homepage in our weekly contest listing? Didn’t get nominated by a Council member? No worries.
Simply head over to Joshuapundit and post the title and a link to the piece you want considered along with an e-mail address (which won’t be published) in the comments section no later than Monday 6 PM PST in order to be considered for our honorable mention category. Then return the favor by creating a post on your site linking to the Watcher’s Council contest for the week when it comes out Wednesday morning.
It’s a great way of exposing your best work to Watcher’s Council readers and Council members, while grabbing the increased traffic and notoriety. And how good is that, eh?
So, let’s see what we have this week…
- The Noisy Room – Torture and Murder in Tennessee – Why No Movement for These Innocents?
- The Right Planet – Obama Awards Presidential Medal of Freedom to Bayard Rustin, a Socialist
- Joshuapundit – What The Media Won’t Tell You About What’s Really Going On In Egypt
- Liberty’s Spirit – When Clowns Attack Clowns Who Make Fun of POTUS the Clown
- Rhymes With Right – Clowning Around
- Simply Jews – Erdogan’s shocker: Tzipi Livni and Bernard-Henri Levy deposed Morsi
- The Political Commentator – Obama’s America: Twenty-something bum living on lobster and sushi! (Video)
- The Razor – Elementary School Math
- The Mellow Jihadi – The Art of Caring
- The Colossus of Rhodey – Christian Nation
- Nice Deb – TX Congressman on NAACP Request For Rodeo Clown Probe: We Can’t Even Get the DOJ to look at Benghazi!
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Foreign Policy Playbook
- The Glittering Eye – Life in a Dog Pack: Old Age
- Bookworm Room – Any humor about Obama is ipso facto racial humor
- VA Right! – The Virginia 2013 Bellwether Theme: Republicans Electing Democrats to Make Republicans Pay!
- The Independent Sentinel – What You Might Not Know About Barack Obama
- Wolf Howling – Do Blacks Buy This Crap?
- Ask Marion – Rebranding Hillary
- Sultan Knish – The Brotherhood’s Currency of Blood submitted by The Noisy Room
- Kevin D. Williamson/National Review – The Front Man submitted by The Right Planet
- Mark Steyn – Consensus in Egypt submitted by Joshuapundit
- The Elder Of Ziyon – Elder of Ziyon: Bayard Rustin and black civil rights leaders’ support for Israel 1970s submitted by Liberty’s Spirit
- The College Conservative – TCCs Guide for Back-To-Campus submitted by Rhymes with Right
- The Passing Parade – Phoniness and how to achieve it… submitted by Simply Jews
- Daniel Greenfield/FrontPageMag – Whose side is Obama on? submitted by The Political Commentator
- Via Meadia – Bambi Meets Godzilla in the Middle East submitted by The Razor
- Danger Room – How to Fix the Army: Sack All the Generals submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
- Buckhorn Road – A true story to get teachers back in the mood for the imminent return submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- John Hayward/The Conversation – The Rodeo Clown Police understand the power of contempt submitted by Nice Deb
- Michael Ledeen/PJ Media – The Shape of the Global War submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Joshua Foust – The Miranda Detention: Troubling from all Sides submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Stately McDaniel Manor – Warning: Warning Shots submitted by Bookworm Room
- Canada Free Press – True Patriots Know at Heart That It’s Never too Late to Never Give Up submitted by VA Right!
- Zero Hedge – Is China Doomed? submitted by The Watcher
- Andrew Klaven – The Sad Fate Of Democrat Women submitted by The Watcher
Enjoy! And don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us Twitter… ’cause we’re cool like that!