The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast and the results are in for this week’s Watcher’s Council match-up.
On every question of construction, let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed. – Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823
It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds. – Samuel Adams
We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. – Abraham Lincoln
This week’s winning essay, The Noisy Room’s – The End Of Constitutional Government is a tour de force… her reaction to last week’s Supreme Court decisions. Here’s a slice:
It’s been an historic week and although I am not surprised by the Supreme Court decisions, they saddened me beyond belief. I have sadly come to the conclusion that many of my colleagues are correct… our Constitutional form of government is now dead and Obama’s transformative ‘change’ is all but complete.
Things are now snowballing and it is more than most Americans can take or bear. From gay marriage and the ensuing infringement on free speech and our religious rights, to enforced Obamacare, to forced wealth redistibution in our neighborhoods, to the EPA run amok… our freedoms are being absolutely nullified. States are now saying they won’t comply with the EPA on coal and who can blame them? Americans will get very dangerous when they are hungry and cold. And then there is the Iran deadline, which is this weekend. Instead of holding their feet to fire, we are actually giving Iran nuclear reactors while they shout, “Death to America!” in their parliament. Insanity is the norm now. Then there is the increased Islamic State threat on our southern border and the attacks on our power grid coming down the pike. It’s surreal and all instigated, manipulated and planned for by our government – the ultimate enemy from within.
Adding to the tyrannical frenzy of the aftermath of the mass shooting in South Carolina, evidently America is cool with censoring her own history, but wants to hang on to the likes of Nazi Germany and bloody communist regimes. Satanism is still in vogue it would seem as well… but if you are a lover of the Confederate flag, well, you should be summarily burned at the stake. Let’s not leave out Stalin or concentration camps as making the ‘cool’ list either. And it goes without saying that Che Guevara is tres chic. Prohibition of thought and our history is all the rage now. No doubt next on the censorship bandwagon… burning books and thought police. Oh, wait…
The flaming lynch mob mentality of Progressives is burning through businesses across the former land of the free. They are feeling immense pressure to conform and be politically correct. None of them seem to have a spine. This is insane. Not only are they banning all Confederate flags and calling for Civil War statues to be taken down (which is erasing American history), they are getting rid of General Lee, an orange Dodge Charger from “The Dukes of Hazzard.” Walmart and Amazon have stopped selling anything having to do with the Confederate flag, but Walmart is still selling Che Guevara shirts, as well as Castro memorabilia and Iranian flags. Apple just removed Civil War Games from their App Store. South Carolina, Louisiana, Alabama and Kentucky are all removing Confederate flags as well. It’s an all you can eat buffet of political correctness feeding a ‘get em!’ move by Progressives. Now, they want to ban Gone With The Wind. We have literally plummeted down the rabbit hole and are sipping tea with the Mad Hatter. The Constitution is now being replaced with censorship and regulation – it’s incomprehensible.
At least one good thing came out of the Supreme Court this week. During the Great Depression, the government decided that prices paid to farmers were too low and undertook to correct the problem by limiting their output. It was a fascist move then and is still one now. It is sheer theft. Marvin and Laura Horne decided not to play that game and took their beef all the way to the Supreme Court – raisin hell, so-to-speak. And they won on Monday! The feds claimed they owed $700,000 because they would not surrender 47% of their crop for over a decade to the government with no compensation. Not even the left-leaning Supremes could let that one slide.
Raisin farmer Marvin Horne stands in a field of grapevines planted next to his home in
Kerman, Calif. Horne was accused of violating a 1937 federal rule that regulates raisin prices
by setting aside a percentage of crop to avoid a glut. (Gary Kazanjian, AP)
The Raisin Administrative Committee, which operates under the supervision of the USDA, sells or gives away the raisins it takes, with the proceeds going to cover its operating costs, storage fees and promotional efforts abroad. If any money is left, the farmers get some of it. If not, they receive nada. Looks like the Road to Serfdom has been detoured on this issue, at least for now. The unconstitutional theft being imposed on farmers such as the Hornes is no more. But at least these raisin farmers can get back to raising their crops and taking care of business – liberal fascism has moved on to the next hot topic.
Then there was the ultimate betrayal by Justice Roberts and the ruling in favor of Obamacare this week. The ruling stomped all over state’s rights and bent over backwards to reinterpret the Obamacare statute in favor of federal exchanges. “The somersaults of statutory interpretation they [the Justices of the Supreme Court] have performed …will be cited by litigants endlessly, to the confusion of honest jurisprudence,” concludes Justice Antonin Scalia in his dissent, joined by Justices Clarence Thomas and Sam Alito. “And the cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites.”
More at the link.
In our non-Council category, the winner was Sultan Knish with No Truce With the Left, submitted by The Independent Sentinel. The title pretty much speaks for itself.
Here are this week’s full results. Ask Marion, Don Surber and Puma By Design were unable to vote this week, but none of them were subject to the mandatory 2/3 vote penalty for not voting:
- *First place with 2 votes! – The Noisy Room – The End Of Constitutional Government
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes – Joshuapundit – Tyranny In Black Robes – The Scotus Approves Gay Marriage
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Bookworm Room – Thoughts about the Supreme Court’s Same-Sex Marriage Decision
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – The Right Planet – Why Democrats Are Still the Party of Slavery
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Rhymes With Right – The ObamaCare Ruling As Legal Gnosticism
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Don Surber – Mr. 401K
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – VA Right! – Reconsidering Trump 2016 AND Convention of States
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Caliphanniversary
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Nice Deb – ISIS Mutants Become More Sadistic as They Lose Ground In Syria
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Independent Sentinel – Dear Leader has a plan to flood the country with re-categorized foreigners
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Puma By Design – 12 Must-Read Quotes From Scalia’s Blistering Same-Sex Marriage Dissent
- *First place with 2 1/3 votes! – Sultan Knish – No Truce With the Left submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Second place with 2 votes – Ace of Spades HQ – We’re Living In the United States Of Calvinball. It’s Time The Right Got In The Game. submitted by Don Surber
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes – Seraphic Secret – The Coming Religious Purges submitted by Joshuapundit
- Fourth place with 1 vote – Andrew McCarthy/NRO – Let’s Drop the Charade: the Supreme Court is a Political Branch, Not a Judicial One submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes – George Weigel – Lessons for Today, after Obergefell, from Catholics Who Were Persecuted under Elizabeth I submitted by Nice Deb
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Patrick Bahzad/Sic Semper Tyrannis – Terror Attack In France: What happened … and who’s responsible? submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes – L. Williams, Interpreter – Rumors of a Turkish Invasion of Northern Syria submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Kevin D. Williamson – We Have Officially Reached Peak Leftism submitted by The Watcher
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Ted Cruz/NRO – Constitutional Remedies to a Lawless Supreme Court submitted by The Noisy Room
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Rand Paul – Government Should Get Out of the Marriage Business Altogether submitted by The Razor
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Hot Air – Kurtz: ‘Golly, the media have turned into an intolerant mob lately’ submitted by Rhymes With Right
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Rod Dreher – Orthodox Christians Must Now Learn To Live as Exiles in Our Own Country submitted by The Watcher
See you next week!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum and every Tuesday morning, when we reveal the week’s nominees for Weasel of the Week!
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere and you won’t want to miss it… or any of the other fantabulous Watcher’s Council content.
And don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter… ’cause we’re cool like that, y’know?