Christmas is just around the corner and I and all of my colleagues here at the Watcher’s Council want to take this time to wish you a merry and blessed Christmas, with all the warmth and happiness that goes with this time of year:
But wait, there’s more!
Christmas Day just also happens to be special for another reason… it’s the birthday of our own Dave Schuler, The Glittering Eye!
Now, I’ve known Dave in an online sense ever since I first became part of the madness known as the Watcher’s Council and I’ve never ceased to appreciate his good humor, his renaissance approach to a myriad amount of interests and his willingness to lend a hand when needed. Most of all, he’s put up with me all this time… many happy returns, Dave!
But wait, there’s still more…
The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast and yes, we have this week’s Watcher’s Council winners!
This week’s winner, The Noisy Room’s Syria – The Tipping Point Into Hell, was an excellent examination of exactly why America intervening in Syria’s civil war is a really bad idea, especially since the Muslim Brotherhood is now spearheading the Syrian opposition. Here’s a slice:
Ask yourself, what happens if we intervene in Syria? Nothing good will come of it. As the Responsibility to Protect Doctrine raises its rough countenance and swivels its sights towards Syria, America should pause and consider where this road leads. Straight to a world war drawing in Iran, Russia and China, courtesy of the Obama administration and its thuggish goons.
I have no love for the Ayatollahs and the whack jobs that rule Iran. War with them is almost a foregone conclusion, primarily because we never had the backbone to take out their nuclear ambitions or smack them for their terrorist forays. That confrontation is coming and will rock the world. However, sticking our nose into Syria as we did in Libya, will poke the badger, so to speak. You won’t free Syria from a tyrant, you’ll solidify Islamic radicalism and embolden it. Iran will not let it go, they are vested in Syria and will step in to dance with us almost immediately. Russia is using Iran for all they are worth and will back them in conflict, as will the Chinese. That’s your formula for the war to end all wars, considering how Obama and Panetta have neutered a great deal of our military muscle. It will also get many Christians slaughtered in Syria, but our Marxist-in-Chief cares little about that I would wager.
Think of Russia as the Mob and Iran as one of their enforcers. Russia is angling for control in the Middle East and Europe. You would not want to play Risk with these guys, trust me. They will let the Islamic extremists do their dirty work by invading, warring and wiping Israel off the map. When Russia is done with them, they will attempt to put the Islamists down. Who will win? Well, Russia has might, but Iran has insane religious fervor. They are willing to take everyone out to win. My money is on the Jihadists, but that roll of the dice is anyone’s guess. Let’s pray it never gets that far, but it sure looks like it’s progressing in that direction. I suspect in the end, the Chinese will be there to claim whatever is left, if anything is.
So, why would we stick our nose once again where it does not belong? Power, control and delusion. The Progressives always believe they will come out on top and in control. But they are not the biggest dog in this fight and they will get the crap kicked out of them by the big boys in Russia, Iran and China. And there are no do-overs in this game.
I understand Syria is murdering their own. That is evil and heinous, but nothing we do will change Islamic rule there. Either Iran will win or the Muslim Brotherhood will. Both are horrific and both are very bad for us. Both sides of that coin are our enemies, make no mistake about it. Pushing the so-called Arab Spring there is just enough to really stir the war pot.
We had a tie this week between two must read entries in our non-Council category. One was by Friedrich Hansen in The Brussels Journal entitled A Brief History of Liberty for the OWS Crowd submitted by The Political Commentator, which was exactly what it sounded like, a scholarly attempt to explain the roots of our political liberty.
The other was Sultan Knish‘s Mr. Islam’s Blindfold and Machete submitted by Right Truth.
As is usual in these cases, I had to put on my Watcher’s hat and break the tie. While the Brussels Journal piece was erudite and well written, ultimately Sultan Knish’s visceral imagery won me over.
Here are this week’s full results. Only New Zeal was unable to vote this week, but was not affected by the 2/3 vote penalty:
- *First place with 3 1/3 votes! – The Noisy Room – Syria – The Tipping Point Into Hell
- Second place with 2 votes – The Razor – Calling Out Attorney General Eric Holder
- Third place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Bookworm Room – Facts are stubborn things… but Leftist ideologues are even more stubborn
- Third place *t* with 1 2/3 votes -The Right Planet – Bullies
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 votes – Joshuapundit – An Open Letter To Rabbi Abe Foxman And The ADL
- Fifth place with 1 vote – The Colossus of Rhodey – Rick Perry’s proposed constitutional amendments — the good and the not-so-good
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Ardennes Day
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Political Commentator – Why was this man in Vienna for the OPEC meeting?
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Simply Jews – Hamas senior got lost in the tunnels
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Rhymes With Right – A Segregationist Dog-Whistle In The Gingrich White Paper On The Judiciary
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 votes – Right Truth – Newt Romney vs Mitt Gingrich
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 votes – VA Right! – The State of America Upon Leaving Iraq
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes! – Sultan Knish – Mr. Islam’s Blindfold and Machete submitted by Right Truth
- Second place with 2 2/3 votes – The Brussels Journal – A Brief History of Liberty for the OWS Crowd submitted by The Political Commentator
- Third place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – The Last Stand – Ya Know… submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Third place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Danny Ayalon – The truth about the refugees: Israel Palestinian Conflict submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 votes – Caroline Glick – Tom Friedman’s Losing Battle submitted by Joshuapundit
- Fifth place *t*with 1 vote – Doug Ross – New EPA rule will cost each taxpaying American $280 submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
- Fifth place *t* with 1 votes – Joy McCain/The Conservatory – R.I.P Christopher Hitchens submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Contentious Centrist – Tango Hanukka submitted by Simply Jews
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Daily Bell – Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America submitted by The Right Planet
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – Powerline – The Last Refuge of a Scoundrel submitted by The Razor
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – Jon Hall/American Thinker – Voter Fraud for the Complete Idiot submitted by The Watcher