The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast and the results are in for this week, carved eternally in the akhasic records of cyberspace.
This week’s winner, Joshuapundit’s Rats in the Kitchen: A Parable is a parable indeed. Rather than try to describe it, I’ll just provide you with a slice, let you head to the link to read the whole thing and allow you to draw your own meaning from it:
Once, there was a man who had to deal with rats when he had a major infestation in his home.
The rats’ normal environment became unable to support them all, and they began coming down from the hills looking for new digs… and decided they liked the man’s house. They were perfectly happy to hunker down in the attic, garage and basement with free access to the goodies in the kitchen and pantry. And once they had moved in and saw what rich booty was to be had, they were determined to take over.
At first the problem wasn’t evident. The man would see an occasional rodent scurrying around in the basement, and being a live and let live sort, it never bothered him too much.
As more and more rats began showing up, their presence became much more noticeable. The man made an effort to understand the rats and their needs. The thought even crossed the man’s mind that he and his neighbors, by living in the area, owed it to the rats to try and coexist peacefully.After all weren’t they entitled to live on the planet too?
The man talked to a local expert on rats, who owned a pest control business. The expert warned him that he had to get rid of the rats now, and act decisively when things were at an early stage, or he would be faced with a major problem in the future. The man listened politely, but thought `well, this guy has his own agenda…after all, he makes his living scaring people about rats. I don’t see it as any kind of major problem yet…nothing that can’t be handled.’
So he tried what he thought was the most compassionate way out, taking bread and putting it out in the fields, figuring that the rats would be satisfied with that and leave. No luck..having learned to enjoy the basement and access to the goodies in the pantry and the kitchen within, they weren’t content to scrounge in the fields any more. Next he tried purchasing a number of those electronic gizmos that claim to drive rats away using high frequency sound. Not only didn’t they work, but the rats became even more blatant and bold. The high-pitched electronic sound drew them like an Islamic prayer call or a rock concert.
And as the rats became more bold, they began coming into the house at will. And their numbers continued to increase.
In our non-Council category, we had the unusual situation of a three way tie, which means I had to pick the winner as Watcher. And it wasn’t easy choosing between The Passing Parade’s OWS IT GOING, AND IT SHOULD GO FASTER submitted by Simply Jews, a hilarious send up of the OWS movement versus small town America; Sultan Knish’s The Myth of the Arab Spring Underdog submitted by The Noisy Room, the Sultan’s fine exposition on why the West’s sympathy for the Arab Spring protesters is largely misplaced; and Caroline Glick’s Calling Things By Their Proper Names submitted by The Political Commentator, in which the always scintillating Ms. Glick writes on how President Obama’s Middle East policies are shuffling the cards there – and not in our favor.
All three of these pieces are must reads, frankly. But I have to admit, still being indignant over how the mayor and city council of Los Angeles endorsed the OWS movement there based strictly on Democrat party politics and cheerfully allowed them to break the city’s laws with impunity, I simply had to give The Passing Parade the nod. It struck home, you might say.
Los Angeles’ almost entirely Blue municipal government will spend nearly $1 million in taxpayer dollars to remove what amounted to a large, rancid trash dump created by the OWSers next to City Hall, pay for the police and other personnel involved and reconstruct a public park. They have no respect for the city they’re in charge of or the people they govern whatsoever.
OK, OK, rant over. Here are this week’s full results:
- *First place with 3 1/3 votes! – Joshuapundit – Rats in the Kitchen: A Parable
- Second place with 2 votes – Bookworm Room – Minority employees and “making it” in America
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes – VA Right! – Richmond TEA Party Spite Tax Auditor Cynthia Carr Has Lost Her Privacy – Thanks, Mayor Gollum!
- Fourth place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – The Razor – Fragile
- Fourth place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – The Right Planet – Climategate 2.0 Updates Are ‘Fast & Furious’
- Fourth place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – The Mellow Jihadi – The Navy, Anthony Weiner, and Mustaches
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Noisy Room – To Be Taken With A Grain Of Galt
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Simply Jews – A short history of another bullsh*t scoop
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Rhymes With Right – “There Is No Virtue In Being Compelled”
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Political Commentator – Comrade Russia is screwing the U.S. yet again!
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – New Zeal – Congressman Hansen Clarke and the Michigan Marxists
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Colossus of Rhodey – O.W.S. still craving a Kent State moment
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Syrian Coup d’état
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes! – The Passing Parade – OWS IT GOING, AND IT SHOULD GO FASTER submitted by Simply Jews
- Second place *t* with 2 2/3 votes – Caroline Glick – Calling Things By Their Proper Names submitted by The Political Commentator
- Second place *t* with 2 2/3 votes – Sultan Knish – The Myth of the Arab Spring Underdog submitted by The Noisy Room
- Third place with 2 votes – Accuracy In Media – The War On Police submitted by New Zeal
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – The First Street Journal – When Western multiculturalism and sexual equality meets with Arab culture submitted by The Colossus Of Rhodey
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Wired Danger Room – Hero Marine Sues Defense Giant After Sniper Scope Fight submitted by Right Truth
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Sense of Events – What to say to the grieving submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Thurber’s Thoughts – You’re not a ‘victim’ if you’re shot while committing a crime submitted by Rhymes With Right
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote -The Long War Journal – US, Pakistan differ on events leading to Mohmand strike submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Victor Davis Hanson – Why Not Pay Higher Taxes? submitted by Bookworm Room
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – LATMA – Arab Times Are A Changin’ submitted by Joshuapundit
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Neptunus Lex – Lawsuit submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Pat Dollard – “STOP THIS!”: Eric Holder Demands Daily Caller Stop Publishing “Fast And Furious” Stories submitted by VA Right!
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – American Thinker – Tebow, Palin, and the Pain of Remorse submitted by The Watcher