Many Westerners believe that because China has adopted a “state capitalist” model, it is therefore on the road to abandoning Marxism/communism.
That is a very dangerous mistake.
From the Communist Party USA’s People’s World:
Xi Jinping, General Secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) and President of the People’s Republic, recently told the Politburo that a profound understanding of Marxism on the part of the country’s leadership was essential. He warned his colleagues that any abandonment of Marxism would cause the CPC “to lose its soul and direction.”
Classical Marxism maintains that mankind goes through five stages of development.
- Primitive Communism – hunter-gatherer, communal subsistence living.
- Feudalism – an agricultural based economy, ruled over by strongmen and warlords.
- Capitalism – a highly productive, but eventually self-destructive industrial based economy, dominated by business leaders.
- Socialism – a centrally planned economy, where the wealth created by capitalism is re-distributed by government bureaucrats, lead by an elite.
- Advanced Communism – the centrally planned state withers away. Wealth is abundant and shared in common on the basis of need. This stage of course will never be achieved, because the socialist stage will destroy productive capacity and the bureaucrats and dictators will hoard as much of the remaining wealth as they can for themselves.
According to Marxist theory “socialism” was supposed to occur first in advanced industrialized countries like Germany, Britain and the United States, not in semi-feudal backward nations like Russia, China, Cuba and Vietnam.
By returning to an at least partially “capitalist” economy, China, Vietnam, Russia and now even Cuba are acknowledging that missing the “capitalist” stage and trying to jump straight from “feudalism” to “socialism” was a huge mistake.
By returning temporarily to “capitalism,” the communists believe they can re-build their economies and their military might to the point they can enforce “socialism” worldwide.
China and its allies Russia and Cuba are not abandoning the road to Marxian “communism.” They are re-affirming it.