This letter from Kim Bryant was given the banner headline in this morning’s Christchurch Press.
Mayor Garry Moore may like to reconsider his dismissal of concerns about Li Ka-shing and Hutchison P. H. having links to the Chinese Army as “conspiracy theories” after considering the following.
1. Li Ka-shing is a director of China International Trust and Investment Corporation (CITIC), a ministry-level conglomerate formed by Beijing to promote investment in China.
2. Hutchison is a partner with COSCO the merchant marine of the Peoples Liberation Army.
3. Hutchison already controls the Panama Canal.
4. Li has displayed “unfailing loyalty” to Beijing according to biographer Anthony B. Chan.
5. Captain Kenneth Puckett, former Port Captain of the Panama Canal says Hutchison “holds the switch that regulates world commerce” in their control of the canal.
6. COSCO vessels have been to be involved drug smuggling, arms smuggling, and other illicit activities
7. PLA literature refers to COSCO ships as zhanjian, or “warships”.
I suspect that Mr. Moore’s involvement in the CCC’s commitment to ‘sinister’ city links has obscured his appreciation of the strategic aims of an unrepentant Communist Dictatorship. Hutchison’s investment should not proceed.