The Council Has Spoken! Our Watcher’s Council Results – 01/17/16
The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast and the results are in for this week’s Watcher’s Council match-up.
When you ask people, “What’s America’s longest war?” they usually answer “Vietnam” or amend that to “Afghanistan,” but it’s neither. America’s longest war is the war on drugs. – Don Winslow, The Cartel
Poor Mexico. So far from G-d, so close to the United States. – Former Mexican Presidente Porfirio Diaz
El que impuesto está a perder, hasta lástima es que gane” (If someone has decided to lose, it would be a pity if he wins) – Mexican proverb
This week’s winning essay comes from Fausta’s blog, Mexico: El Chapo’s notes from underground, VIDEO. By now, Sean Penn’s infamous sojurn in Mexico to interview cartel boss El Chapo is common knowledge, but Fausta takes us behind the headlines with an fascinating in-depth look at how it happened and the aftermath that saw El Chapo recaptured… at least for now. Here’s a slice:
Penn first met in person with El Chapo’s son under Chavista Cartel de los Soles protection in Venezuela’s Margarita Island.
El Chapo snuck out of the house during the Mexican Marines’ raid through a tunnel, bring us today’s Capt. Louis Renault moment:
“Video published Monday by Mexican broadcaster Televisa revealed details of the secret tunnel used by Mr. Guzmán to slip away from marines as they stormed a house he was using in the coastal city of Los Mochis. He was arrested hours later trying to leave the city in a stolen car.
The tunnel was hidden behind a closet mirror, featured a secret switch hidden in the ceiling, and had electricity and wooden planks covering the walls, the images showed. Marines took nearly 90 minutes to find the tunnel and open the access, giving him a big head start.
Mr. Guzmán, the world’s most notorious drug lord and leader of the Sinaloa cartel, has a long history with tunnels. He is widely credited with pioneering the use of tunnels to ferry drugs across the U.S.-Mexico border, and used tunnels in recent years to elude capture as Mexico’s most-wanted criminal. He then famously used a mile-long tunnel to escape from prison last July.”
Were he living, Dosto may have something to say on Chapo’s underground tendencies.
By now, shouldn’t Chapo (Shorty) be named El Topo (Mole)?
But I digress.
Anonymous Mexico released an embeddable version,
Much more at the link.
In our non-Council category, the winner was Sultan Knish – The Tribal War With Islam submitted by The Independent Sentinel.
Here are this week’s full results:
- *First place with 2 1/3 votes! – Fausta’s Blog – Mexico: El Chapo’s notes from underground, VIDEO
- Second place *t* with 2 votes – The Noisy Room – Europe Braces Itself For Terrorism As Germany And Other Countries Experience Sexual Jihad Firsthand From Rapefugees
- Second place *t* with 2 votes – Bookworm Room – Obama’s Middle Eastern policy is a bad replay of Woodrow Wilson’s post WWI efforts (and we know how that ended)
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes – The Razor – What Amazon Prime’s Transparent Teaches About Feminism
- Fourth place with 1 vote – The Right Planet – Breaking Red: The Truth about Dalton Trumbo and the Hollywood Ten
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Independent Sentinel – Democrats Invite Terror-Tied Islamists to the State of the Union to Send a Message
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Puma By Design – Obama Campaigning for Next Job – Leader of the New World Order
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Joshuapundit – Rise And Shine – Some Thoughts For The New Year
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Nice Deb – Video: FBI Probe Into Clinton Emails Expanded To Look Into Clinton Foundation Malfeasance
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – VA Right! – Bill Bolling: A Case Study in Classic Delusional RINO-ism
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Glittering Eye – These Are Our Political Leaders
- *First place with 2 votes! – Sultan Knish – The Tribal War With Islam submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Mark Steyn – Notes on a Phenomenon submitted by The Noisy Room
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – John Schindler/NY Observer – Hillary’s EmailGate Goes Nuclear submitted by Nice Deb
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Jeremy Choate/Zero Hedge – One American’s Rage Spills Over: Dear Liberal… Here’s Why I’m So Hostile submitted by The Razor
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Elizabeth Price Foley/Instapundit – Is Ted Cruz a Natural Born U. S. Citizen? submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Dana Loesch – A Thorough Fisking of Obama’s Executive Orders on Gun Control submitted by The Right Planet
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Richard Fernandez/PJ Media – Stand by for Collision submitted by Fausta’s Blog
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Roger L. Simon – In Your Heart, You Know He’s Right: Trump and Muslim Immigration submitted by Joshuapundit
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –Breitbart – Marco Rubio: I ‘Absolutely’ Support Tuition Discounts For Illegal Alienssubmitted by VA Right!
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Jesse Rosenfeld/Daily Beast – Russia Is Arming Hezbollah submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Kevin Williamson/NRO – Mrs. Clinton Is Professor Clicksubmitted by Bookworm Room
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Benjamin Weingarten/City Journal – See No Islam, Hear No Islam submitted by The Watcher
See you next week!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum and every Tuesday morning, when we reveal the week’s nominees for Weasel of the Week!
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere and you won’t want to miss it… or any of the other fantabulous Watcher’s Council content.