Watcher’s Council Nominations – Christmas Day Edition
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. – Isaiah 9:6
Ah, Christmas… a time for warmth and family, as the Dropkick Murphys remind us:
No worries Ken… we know you’re just funnin’…
But also, on a more serious note, a time for faith:
At this time, our thoughts and prayers need to go out for Christians under siege in the Middle East and elsewhere, where, with the exception of Israel, the one country in the Middle East where the Christian population is actually growing, they are systematically being ethnically cleansed by Muslims.
This shares something with the Holocaust, because once again there is an obscene conspiracy of silence and cowardice by the West to avoid confronting the perpetrators and protecting, or at least providing, a haven to the victims. For instance, President Obama, who likes to remind us that he is a Christian, just sent troops to the new country of South Sudan because of tribal unrest there between the government and a rival tribal faction. He never saw fit to do anything like that to protect these people from assault by the Arab Islamist government of the Sudan and the orgy of rape, torture and murder perpetrated on Black Christians by the Muslim Janjiweed militias in South Sudan and Darfur. Nothing.
At this time of year, I urge all of us to pray for these beleaguered Christians and to raise holy you-know-what to demand that our respective governments put these Christians’ lives and well being ahead of appeasing Islam. I run a serious risk of operating outside my pay grade here, as our president would say, but I flatter myself in thinking that I think it’s what Jesus would expect… not only of Christians, but of all of us.
Okay, rant over. Sorry about that.
Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, a blogging group consisting of some of the most incisive blogs in the ‘sphere and in our second decade, the longest running group of its kind in existence. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. Then we vote on the best two posts, with the results appearing on Friday morning.
Today is not only Christmas Day, but additionally special in that it is the birthday of our friend and colleague Dave Schuler of The Glittering Eye.
Ordinarily, I pick out a cake and some liquid libation for these celebrations and this is no exception.
German chocolate, I think:
And perhaps. chilled Veuve Cliquot to drink… brut, of course.
Dave and I have known each other for some time now. In fact, he predates me on the Council. When I first got the nod from the original Watcher, I replaced a blog called New Sisyphus, if memory serves me, and I remember he wrote something to the effect that he had enjoyed New Sisyphus, but was going to wait and see on this Joshuapundit fella. I hope I’ve lived up to his expectations… certainly he’s lived up to mine. I have never ceased to appreciate his wide range of interests, his clarity of thought, his dry sense of humor or the friendship and collegiality we’ve shared.
Many, many happy returns Dave.
You can, too! Want to see your work appear on the Watcher’s Council homepage in our weekly contest listing? Didn’t get nominated by a Council member? No worries. Here’s how to bring something you want considered to my attention…
Simply head over to Joshuapundit and post the title and a link to the piece you want considered, along with an e-mail address (which won’t be published) in the comments section no later than Monday 6 PM PST, in order to be considered for our honorable mention category. Then return the favor by creating a post on your site linking to the Watcher’s Council contest for the week when it comes out Wednesday morning
It’s a great way of exposing your best work to Watcher’s Council readers and Council members, while grabbing the increased traffic and notoriety. And how good is that, eh?
So, let’s take a look at what we have this week… and our heartfelt wishes to all of you for a joyous and blessed Christmas from the Watcher’s Council:
- The Noisy Room – The Silencing of the Ducks
- Liberty’s Spirit – Fat-Shaming, Body Image and a Culture of Dehumanization
- The Political Commentator – US Navy and cancer: Fukushima has been extremely hazardous to their health!
- Joshuapundit – Crash And Burn – Obama Waives Individual Mandate On ObamaCare
- Simply Jews – Sweden’s conflictual relationship with issues of tolerance
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Killing Our Enemies On Christmas Day Since 1776
- The Right Planet – U.S. Army Tells Soldiers Not to Say Christmas
- Bookworm Room – The Obama Christmas card reveals the zero at the center of our government
- Nice Deb – Young Invincibles Insulted By ObamaCare Ads (Video)
- Rhymes With Right – May I Point Out That Phil Robertson Was Indisputably Right About One Thing?
- The Colossus of Rhodey – Comics & Sci-fi Friday
- The Razor – Would a Different Software Methodology Have Saved Obamacare?
- VA Right! – ‘It’s Christmas in Richmond Tonight’ – New Christmas Song by Tom White
- The Glittering Eye – The Too-Long-Deferred Topic of Controlling Healthcare Spending
- The Mellow Jihadi – Israel & Iran. Good against Evil…
- Ask Marion – Simpler Times, A Groetzmeier Christmas – WoC 2013
- The Independent Sentinel – Wow! Susan Rice Doesn’t Have Time For Benghazi, The False Controversy
- Right Truth – Lesbian Supervisor Allegedly Fired Male Gym Teacher Because He Was Heterosexual And Married
- The Pirate’s Cove – Here’s A Handy Dandy Warmist Survival Guide For Christmas Climate Change Discussions
- Larry Correia/Monster Hunter Nation – Angsty Emo Outrage and Ducks submitted by The Noisy Room
- Bret Stephens/WSJ – Of Jane Fonda and Pope Francis submitted by Liberty’s Spirit
- Dollar Vigilante – Death, The New retirement For U.S. Citizens submitted by The Political Commentator
- Victor Davis Hanson – Pajama Boy Nation submitted by Joshuapundit
- Nick Nipclose – Cyber-libertarians for Child Pornography submitted by Simply Jews
- Pressure Points – The Un-American Studies Association submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- David J. Shestokas – Courageous NSA Ruling by Judge Leon Respects Privacy and Fourth Amendment submitted by The Right Planet
- John O’Sullivan/NRO – The New Blacklist submitted by Bookworm Room
- Washington Free Beacon – A Year of Inspiring Democratic Quotes submitted by Nice Deb
- Big Jolly Politics – Christopher Busby, HCRP Precinct Chair submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Buckhorn Road – Freedom Died On This Day 100 Years Ago submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- The People’s Cube – Duck Dynasty’s Robertson Angers Alcoholics, Philanderers submitted by The Razor
- Arnold Kling – Obama Repeals Obamacare submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Cato@Liberty – It’s a Very Merry Christmas for Washington Insiders submitted by The Watcher
- John Kass/Chicago Tribune – A Very Kass Christmas Greeting submitted by The Watcher
- Adrienne Royer/The Federalist – Why Duck Dynasty Threatens The Left submitted by The Watcher