This Week’s Watcher’s Council Nominations – Dog Days Edition
Ah, the sultry lazy days leading up to the end of summer, when the warm weather brings out the torpor and laziness in all of us and little gets accomplished except by the determined and the desperate.
Of course, in this election season, that group would include the members of the political class and a veritable army of consultants, pollsters, advance men, hangers on, campaign workers, body servants, soundmen, lighting directors, you name it. Just the thought of it reminds me of the old touring days, slogging down the highway to the next town… an unnatural way to live, but the common lot of political junkies, musicians, carnies and con men always on the way to the next gig, the next score…
The Romans were the first to label this time of year the Dog Days (diēs caniculārēs), noting that the skies were ruled by Sirius, the Dog Star, the brightest star in the night sky at this time of year.
This week’s contest is dedicated to letting sleeping dogs lie… at least for the moment.
Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, your weekly magazine of the blogosphere, put out by a blogging group consisting of some of the most incisive, well written blogs around and the longest running group of its kind in existence. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. Then we vote on the best two posts, with the results appearing on Friday.
You can, too! Want to see your work appear on the Watcher’s Council homepage in our weekly contest listing? Didn’t get nominated by a Council member? No worries.
Simply head over to Joshuapundit and post the title and a link to the piece you want considered along with an e-mail address (which won’t be published) in the comments section no later than Monday 6 PM PST in order to be considered for our honorable mention category.
Then simply return the favor by creating a post on your site linking to the Watcher’s Council contest for the week when it comes out every Wednesday morning.
It’s a great way of exposing your best work to Watcher’s Council readers and Council members, while grabbing the increased traffic and notoriety. And how good is that, eh?
So, let’s see what we have this week…
- Simply Jews – Norman Finkelstein and Tablet
- The Noisy Room – Making Oregon a “Dry State”
- Joshuapundit – Tom Friedman Beclowns Himself On Israel – Again
- The Independent Sentinel – Officer Phillip Cardillo Cannot Be Memorialized Thanks to Louis Farrakhan
- The Political Commentator – A talking horse? Is that really what this election is all about? (Video)
- Gay Patriot – Chick-fil-A: Latest object of the left’s “two-minute” hate – Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day: response to left-wing bullying
- The Colossus of Rhodey – A gay man’s view of the Chick-fil-A imbroglio
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Pussy Riot!!
- The Razor – When I Met Salman Rushdie
- Bookworm Room – Lemmings and herded cats — musings on Japan and America
- The Glittering Eye – The Marilyn Monroe Anniversary
- The Mellow Jihadi – Winston Churchill, US Citizen
- The Right Planet – On Death ground
- Rhymes With Right – Romney Vs. Obama On Investment
- VA Right! – Defending the American Dream Summit 2012
- Right Truth – Christians told: “Renounce your faith or stay in prison”
- Ask Marion – Palin Derangement Syndrome Continues
- The Pirates Cove – Awesome: 2nd Worst President Ever To Address DNC In Primetime To Help Reelect Worst President Ever
- Confessions Of A Closet Republican – Honor Killings, the latest rash of Muslim Misogyny submitted by Simply Jews
- Paul Kengor/American Spectator – All in the (Political) Family submitted by The Noisy Room
- Victor Davis Hanson – California: The Road Warrior Is Here submitted by Joshuapundit
- Yid With Lid – How the US Government Should Deal with the Jerusalem as Israel’s Capital Issue submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Commentary – The Great Islamist Comeback submitted by The Political Commentator
- Jonathan S. Tobin – Palestinians Waiting for Obama to Win submitted by Gay Patriot
- The Weekly Standard – Dignity Defined submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- The Arabist – On the Attacks in the Sinai submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Gavin McInnes, Taki’s Magazine – Whose Country Is it, Anyway? submitted by The Razor
- Wired.Com – How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking submitted by Bookworm Room
- Grand Blog Tarkin – The Jedi Way of War submitted by The Glittering Eye
- BLACKFIVE – Sympathy for the Sikhs submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
- Gulag Bound – Collectivism in America? Conspiracy of Left & Right? Listen to G. Edward Griffin submitted by The Right Planet
- Barry Rubin – The Meaning of the Egypt-Israel Cross-Border Attack submitted by The Watcher
- Seraphic Secret – Romney Is Right on Culture and the Wealth of Nations submitted by The Watcher