From: The Watcher’s Council
The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast and the results of these week’s contest are inscribed in the Great Kozmic Archives.
This week of course, everyone’s mind was on the killing of Osama bin-Laden in Pakistan and this week’s winner, Joshuapundit, took a look at our rather troubled relationship with that country, why it continues and what we can expect from it in the future in Pakistan, A Bridge Too Far. Here’s a slice:
Pakistan is a basket case of a country cobbled together out of different nationalities that mostly hate each other almost as much as they hate the West. The economy is bankrupt, the government is even more than usually corrupt ( President Zardari is widely known in Pakistan by his nickname, ‘Mr. Ten Per Cent’), and the country has a population of 187 million people it’s incapable of supporting. Most of what passes for it’s educational system is in the hands of jihad-spouting madrassahs and the only institutions that actually work are the army and the ISI.
It’s a country that has been responsible for far more terrorism than ever emanated out of Afghanistan and one that even committed genocide in Bengal back in the 1970′s, and I agree with Rep. Allen West that we shouldn’t be giving them so much as a thin dime’s worth of foreign aid. But unfortunately we’ll continue to bribe them at least as long as we’re in Afghanistan for allowing 75% of the supplies for our troops there to land at the Pakistani port of Karachi and be shipped through their territory overland through the Torkhum Pass.
In the end, that’s what it comes down to, and there’s no sense venting outrage over it. But let’s not make the mistake of thinking of them as trustworthy allies. They aren’t, and changing the basic reality of Pakistan is simply a bridge too far.
The sooner we confront that reality, the better.
This week’s non-Council winner was a fine piece by ex-SEAL Froggy over at BlackFive entitled Squandering Our Victory, a great examination of how the Obama Administration’s post raid actions and flaky, ever-changing narratives are damaging the impact of our SEALs taking out Osama bin-Laden.
Here are this week’s full results:
- *First place with 3 1/3 votes! Joshuapundit – Pakistan, A Bridge too Far
- Second place with 2 votes – Right Truth – The Celebrations: What You Don’t See
- Third place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Bookworm Room – A rebuttal to Jesse Kornbluth on the subject of Andrew Sullivan
- Third place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Colossus Of Rhodey – Progressive hypocrisy and the death of bin Laden
- Third place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – New Zeal – Bill Fletcher, Jr. – Leading Socialist Calls for Mass Actions, Law Breaking, to Re-Elect Obama in 2012
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Sweet!
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – The Razor – Relief At The Death Of Osama Bin Laden
- Fifth place with 2/3 vote – The Noisy Room – The Move to Undocument The Documented
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – VA Right! – Why Killing Bin Laden Was Obama’s Only Viable Option – and How He Plans to Score Political Points With the Pictures
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Simply Jews – Roger Cohen: a man who rarely misses an opportunity to miss a point
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote -The Political Commentator – Mea maxima culpa! Osama bin Laden, Barack Obama and Jimmy Carter
- *First place with 2 1/3 votes! – BlackFive – Squandering Our Victory submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Second place with 2 votes – Iowahawk – American Pride Is Back Out Of The Closet! submitted by Joshuapundit
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 vote – Ace of Spades HQ – Howard Fineman: Obama Watched A TV Show So He’s Pretty Awesome submitted by Bookworm Room
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 vote – Atlas Shrugs – Mitch Daniels “Honored” by Notorious Jew-Hating, Supremacist Organization AAI submitted by New Zeal
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – IsraellyCool – The Chaser’s Take on Green’s BDS BS submitted by Simply Jews
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Big Journalism – MSM Uses Palin’s Own Children as Political Weapons Against Her submitted by Right Truth
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Belmont Club – The End Of The Trail? submitted by Rhymes With Right
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Danger Room/Wired – Unfollowed: How a (Possible) Social Network Spy Came Undone submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Big Government/Pamela Geller – Killing Yesterday’s Man submitted by The Noisy Room
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Atlas Shrugs – Would Bush Have Washed Bin Laden’s Body? submitted by Snapped Shot
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Mental Recession – Liberal Policies Lose on a Day America Wins submitted by VA Right!
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Melanie Phillips – A Marriage Made In Hell submitted by The Watcher
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Foreign Policy – More Than 1 Billion People Are Hungry in the World submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Big Peace – Pakistan Was Holding Bin-Laden submitted by The Political Commentator
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Christopher Hitchens – Death Of A Madman submitted by The Watcher
A Happy Mother’s Day To You All… Remember, mothers make the world go round, so don’t forget yours.
See you next week!