The Council Has Spoken!! This Week’s Watcher’s Council Winners – 07/27/12
The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast and the results are in for this week’s Watcher’s Council match-up.
But before we get to this week’s results, we have some important business to take care of… because tomorrow is Courtney’s Birthday!!!!
Yes, our own GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD is another year older.
Of course, we have cake… in honor of Courtney’s southern heritage, it’ll be truly decadent Praline chocolate layer:
And some Veuve Cliquot on the side:
And oh yeah, an Osama piñata, just because we can:
So dig in and enjoy, everyone!
I still remember the first time I encountered Courtney’s writing. Up until then, I never thought of English as a foreign language!
But I’ll tell you what attracted me… it wasn’t her unique style, entertaining though that was. It was the heart and unique spirit behind it. I always see it there and it makes what Courtney writes have a special flavor. It’s truly a pleasure to have her as part of our group and simply put, I’m really glad she’s here.
Well, Courts, this has been an interesting year for you and in some ways, a challenging one I know. But through it all, you’ve stuck with it and continued to turn out work in your own inimitable style. Integrity rocks, even if it isn’t always easy. And you know what? Corny and cliched as it may sound, I have tremendous respect for you for walking that path.
Have an absolutely fabulous birthday… many more.
Okay, okay, this week’s result.
Remember the old TV show, Allan Funt’s ‘Candid Camera?’ Where they would set up humorous situations just to see how people would react and film them secretly, only revealing at the end that they had been on ‘Candid Camera?’
This week’s winner, Joshuapundit’s The Worst Thing You Can Do To An Egyptian got its inspiration from a MEMRI video showing how an Egyptian version of this show went down, on al-Nahar TV, and just like the old American TV show, it was extremely revealing if not very funny… perhaps a lot more revealing than the Egyptians realized, I’m thinking. Here’s a slice:
You might remember the old TV show ‘Candid Camera’, which got its laughs from pranking people and filming their reactions secretly.
Here we have the Egyptian version, courtesy of MEMRI on al-Nahar TV, where three prominent Egyptian celebrities were brought in for an Arabic-language interview that they were told was for German television. But once the cameras were rolling, the interviewer and the staff on the set pranked the guests by telling them they were really Israelis and the show was for an Israeli channel. The full clip, available at MEMRI’s link is well worth watching.
The reactions of the guests were, shall we say, revealing.
All three guests reacted by spewing some of the vilest Jew hatred you could imagine, and the two male guests actually got physically violent with the ‘Jews’, one of them, actor Ayman Kandeel, punching the female host Iman Mubarak and knocking her to the ground.
Not only does it reveal the deep seated hatred for Jews in Egyptian society but what passes for normal behavior. Could you imagine an American actor hitting a female TV host on the air and having any kind of career left, let alone avoiding being arrested?
Actress Mayar Al-Beblawi is shown in the clip declaring that “In that country [Israel], they are all liars. You wouldn’t believe it. They are real liars. They keep whining all the time about the Holocaust, or whatever it’s called. With all the Palestinians that you have killed, you are still whining about the Holocaust and its lousy figures?!”
Al-Beblawi adds later: “These people sawed off [the head] of John the Baptist. They are the slayers of the prophets, what else can we say about them?… Allah did not curse the worm and the moth as much as he cursed the Jews.”
Even more revealing is what happened after the shows hosts revealed that they really were Egyptians and it was all a Candid Camera style stunt.In the case of Ayman Kandeel, he even demanded to see identity cards.
The hosts of the show never once remonstrated with the guests for their violence and bigotry. Even the female host, Iman Mubarak who got slugged praised them for their ‘patriotism’ after being told they were in the same room with Jews.
In our non-Council category, the winner was Iowahawk with You Didn’t Build That submitted by Joshuapundit. It’s a piece of his usual satiric brilliance and a take off on Genesis according to Obama and his fellow fans of big government and I sure wish I’d written it! Congrats, Mr. Burge.
Okay, without any further ado, here are this week’s full results:
- *First place with 3 1/3 votes! – Joshuapundit – The Worst Thing You Can Do To An Egyptian
- Second place with 2 1/3 votes – The Right Planet – Turn It Off!
- Third place with 2 votes – The Noisy Room – The Darkest Knight – the Anarchist Butterfly Effect
- Fourth place with 1 2/3 votes – Gay Patriot – The Politicization of Evil
- Fifth place with 1 1/3 votes – Simply Jews – We love you too, Peter Beinart
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Mellow Jihadi – The Aurora Massacre
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Wobbly!
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Colossus of Rhodey – Speaking of the Dark Knight…
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – VA Right! – Aurora Colorado Shooting Proves We Have a Shortage of Guns in the Hands of Heroes
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Razor – Irony – Now Fortified With Even More Irony
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Glittering Eye – Elizabeth’s Secret
- *First place with 3 1/3 votes! – Iowahawk – You Didn’t Build That submitted by Joshuapundit
- Second place with 2 votes – Nice Deb – Obama: “I Didn’t Say What You Heard Me Say” submitted by VA Right!
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – The Socialism of Fools – Iran Vice President Rahimi on the Jews submitted by Simply Jews
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Yid With Lid – The 2012 London Olympics- A Celebration of Terrorism’s Success submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 vote – Carpe Diem – The Top 20% Paid 94.1% of Income Taxes in 2009 submitted by Rhymes With Right
- Fourth place with 1 votes – Raymond Ibrahim – New York Times Shills for Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood submitted by The Right Planet
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Sultan Knish – Obama For Sale submitted by The Noisy Room
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Pressure Points – Egypt Opens to Gaza submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Christian Smith/The Chronicle Review – An Academic Auto-da-Fé submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Breitbart.Com – GLAAD Slams Roland Martin, Ignores BuzzFeed For Same Behavior submitted by Gay Patriot
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – The First Street Journal – Comment Rescue: Wagonwheel and the essence of liberalism submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Ron Meyer, CNS News – Aurora’s Strict Gun Laws Didn’t Prevent Shooting, But If One Law-Abiding Person In The Theater Had Been Carrying One… submitted by The Razor
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote – SOFREP – Navy SEAL Lessons Learned From Aurora Colorado submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
See you next week! Don’t forget to tune in on Monday AM for this week’s Watcher’s Forum, as the Council takes apart one of the provocative issues of the day an weighs in… don’t you dare miss it. And don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter… ’cause we’re cool like that!